Started June 1st 2020
An inauspicious start to the Alfa build was it developing an electrical fault that I couldn't overcome at the side of the road in good time to catch the ferry home, so my wife had to quickly learn how to tow. The issue was that the car had TWO 1990s era immobilisers that had decided to come to life and shut the car down, both systems were fully removed when we got the car into the garage....soooo many wires!
PROP SHAFT SUPPORT BEARING
During the test drive I could feel a knock when changing gear and drumming on acceleration, which I knew was the prop shaft support bearing, so one of my first jobs was to rmeove and split the prop.
As with any job I took the oportunity to discard and replace any nuts and bolts for new, clean and paint the part then fit the new bearing and housing before replacement.
CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER
The clutch had to be double pumped to operate due to a faulty clutch slave cyl that I've replaced for a new orignal equipment one and while under there I degreased and washed the underside of the car.
I've removed the bumpers to allow access to the front valance, the side parts of which are corroded and will be replaced. I'm also going to restore the bumpers to the original silver and black, replace all the rubber parts and fit them tighter to the bodywork than shown.
1987 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000
BIG BOX OF ALFA BITS
I ordered a few body repair parts and essential mechanical items, but also a couple of vanity parts, like a new heater console and Alfa Heart. The repro heart alfa badge wasnt as good as the original so I swapped it. The badge is glued on, but I've threaded the fixing lugs so it can be bolted on instead.
Theres also a new Zender tail spoiler in there. I'd always planned to fit this in place of the duck tail as it restores the Kamm Tail look of the original design as in the Zender promo pic on the left.
The Alfa Spider is a beautiful Pinifarina design and is probably one of the last chances us regular folk will have to afford a classic Italian roadster as values spiral wth them currently hovering around the 6k mark and up to 12 for a mint one. This is an 87 S3 with the revvy 2.0 Twin Cam on Twin Dellorto carbs in Rosso and it included the very rare three window hard top with heated rear window. Its all original, the factory never made a RHD model (they were all dealer conversions) so all of the engine components, wiring and other gear are in the right place and beautiful. Overall its solid, but needs some non structural welding, mechanical work, small body dents removed and some retromodding :)
Suffering from Garage Boredom over lockdown, I needed a project....
REAR BUMPER SIDE SPLIT REPAIR
I've noticed bad alignment for the bumper sides on S3's as there is little support from the bracket, which then splits the side. I'm going to build in support later when I fit the bumpers tighter to the body, but for now its a chance to see how the bumper responds to repair. I clean the area and key it, then epoxy in a small alloy strengthener before melting in a bumper repair staple. Normally the staple would be enough, but this bumper cannot be plastic welded as it is thermoset and contains fibres which you see here as a white froth when inserting the hot staple, so epoxy specifically for plastic is the only option.
This is the (rather expensive) Alfa Romeo Zender style spoiler that gives a real sleek look to the Kamm tail, while still being an 80s era part for the car.
Fitting is easy, but there was quite a bit of work to properly remove the old double sided tape and glue fixings.
A gratuitous pic of the fab new Stainless Steel mirrors with a wider field of view and very nice Alfa Romeo logos on the stalks to replace the tarnished originals.
I've enjoyed doing a few jobs on the Alfa, but the prevous owner had covered the entire underfloor and suspension in tar like waxoil muck and it needs this stripped away to expose the floor and carry out any repairs found.
I made a start to the welding, but you know, I realised I liked lying under cars on my back covered in underseal with my hair on fire more when I was in my thirties and forties. I've done a LOT of full restorations and cant be arsed starting another this year, so its been sitting for a couple of months now gathering dust and with a Brabus and another bomb disposal robot on the way to build controls for, it could get neglected so I decided over the weekend to sell it as is and hope someone can really enjoy finishing the work and driving the car.
I advertised it for a reasonable price of 6.5k with this video below for the ad and I've endeavored to be as honest as possible about the condition of the car and any work that needs done. It sold in a hour and has went to a great home in the South of ireland.